Whole Foods announced their top five plant-based trend predictions for summer, a first for the grocery chain. The Hartman Group found that 48% of consumers look for products with “plant-based labels,” the grocer shared in a press release.
The company is highlighting plant-based trends ahead of a summer where more consumers are looking for plant-based options. Whole Foods is sharing items like nut-based cheese alternatives and cashew dips for plant-based eaters!
So what are the top five plant-based trends? First up, alternative cheese. Options abound for plant-based cheeses, including Miyoko’s and other favorites. Plant-based cheese has leveled up and in addition to classic flavors, you can also find more unique offerings like black garlic truffle and chive. Here are some easy plant-based cheese recipes you can make at home:
- American Cheese Slices
- Cashew Cheese
- Gourmet Cheese
- Baked Nut Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cashew Cheese
- Cashew Brie
- Life-Changing Cheese Sauce
- 15 Hearty High-Protein Lentil Burgers!
- 15 Protein-Packed, Meat-Free Burgers and Sandwiches That Will Keep You Full and Satisfied All Day
- 15 Grain-Free Veggie Burgers That Are Packed With Protein
- Fresh Protein-Powerhouse Tempeh Burgers [Vegan]
- 12 Savory Vegan Recipes For Your Next Barbecue
- 15 Saucy Recipes That Will Light Up Your BBQ Grill
- Sticky Baked BBQ Tempeh Strips
- Balsamic BBQ Seitan and Tempeh Ribs
- From Cheesesteak to Tacos! These 10 Jammin’ Jackfruit Recipes
The third trend? Pint-sized plant-based foods for kids, with nuggets, plant-based cheddar sticks, and ice pops.
- Chocolate Ice Pops
- 15 Healthy and Fun Vegan Recipes to Make With Your Kids!
- 15 Cute Mini Summer Desserts Made Vegan!
- 12 Delicious Recipes for Vegan Chicken Nuggets, Tenders, and Fingers!
The number four spot goes to plant-based seafood! You can try out no-tuna sandwiches and a variety of other new options!
- Lobster Rolls
- How to Make Vegan Seafood Dishes Without the Fish
- Smoked Carrot Lox
- Jackfruit No-Tuna Melt
- The Ultimate Guide to Making Vegan ‘Seafood’ Dishes!
- Pan-Seared Tofu Scallops
- Clam Chowder
Dairy-free dips round out the top five trends, with creamy cashew options, plant-based queso, and dairy-free dips galore.
- Low-Fat Tofu Ranch Dip
- 15 High-Protein Dips that Make Delicious Snacks!
- Loaded Queso Dip
- 15 Fun Vegan Dips to Bring to Parties This Summer
- Caramelized Onion Cashew Cheese Dip
- Creamy Coconut Spinach Dip
“Plant-based is the grocery category to watch right now as brands continue to innovate by using new ingredients and processes that make plant-based products exciting for shoppers,” said Parker Brody, Senior Global Category Merchant for Plant-Based at Whole Foods Market in an emailed statement. “And in the laid-back days of summer, we find that customers are breaking out of their routines and are more open to trying something new, whether they’re longtime vegans or just starting to experiment with plant-based eating. So, expect to see gourmet plant-based cheese alternative spreads at picnics and fish alternatives made from banana blossoms on the grill this season.”
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.