The same classic American cheese taste you grew up with: mild, firm, and satisfying. This creamy, golden-hued cheese is perfect sliced on sandwiches and crackers.
American Cheese Slices [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 1-pound block
Ingredients You Need for American Cheese Slices [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cheese:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked, drained, and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water, filtered
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Agar Gel:
- 1/2 cup cold water, filtered
- 4 teaspoons agar powder
How to Prepare American Cheese Slices [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Place all the cheese ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Leave the cheese mixture in the blender.
- To make the agar gel, whisk the cold water and the agar together in a saucepan. Let it soak for 5 minutes then bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, whisking often, for 5 to 8 minutes, to activate the agar. Once the agar mixture is ready, quickly transfer it to the cheese mixture in the blender and process until it becomes homogenous. Pour the mixture into a container and cover. Refrigerate until firm and set, at least 2 to 4 hours.
- Wrap the cheese in waxed paper and store in a sealed container. Will keep, refrigerated, for 1 to 2 weeks.
Soaking the cashews in water for 4 to 8 hours makes the puree creamier and easier to process. It is required in recipes with low water content, such as cheeses. Excerpted from VEGAN CHEESE: Simple, Delicious, Plant-Based Recipes by Jules Aron. Copyright © 2017. Used with permission of the publisher, Countryman Press. All rights reserved. https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cheese-Delicious-Plant-Based-Recipes/dp/1581574037/?tag=onegrepla-20
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Agar Agar
- All Vegan Cheese
- Cashew Cheese
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 747 | Total Carbs: 62 g | Total Fat: 44 g | Total Protein: 30 g | Total Sodium: 2364 g | Total Sugar: 11 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.