This egg-less frittata gets mixed in a bowl, poured in a pan, and baked until crispy and golden. Filled with veggies and completely versatile, it’s the ultimate vegan breakfast. It’s good hot, warm, room temperature and cold. It’s flavored with simple but key spices, and brightened (and nutritionally heightened) by fresh herbs.
Baked Spinach and Herb Frittata (No Tofu Required!) [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt (gives egg flavor; it's pink in color, not actually black. Available in Indian grocery stores or spice stores; if not available leave out and increase salt to 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill, dried (or more if freshly chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup swiss chard, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion or shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (1 in mix, 1 in pan, 1 on top 5 min before done)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1 Tbsp of olive oil in cast iron pan (recommended, if you have one), or cake pan. The darker in color and wider the better. I used my 12" wide cast iron skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients chickpea flour through cayenne pepper and stir. Add water and whisk until no lumps remain. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and let the batter rest while you chop veggies.
- Add chopped greens, herbs, and sliced onions to batter. Stir well and pour into prepared dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes uncovered until batter is set, and top is beginning to crack and brown a bit. Drizzle top with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and gently brush on. return to oven for 5 more minutes. Remove and let cool a bit before slicing and serving. Serve alone, with a green salad, and with any condiments of choice. Enjoy!