Zucchini is a delightful summer squash that is both nutrient-dense and low in calories. It is a good source of potassium, vitamin C and vitamin A, and is a low glycemic food. The zucchini adds such a nice taste and texture to the cakes, and pairs beautifully with the mustard, garlic and chives. The zucchini cakes have a crispy outside and creamy center.
Zucchini Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Zucchini Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large zucchini, grated (about 3 ½ - 4 cups)
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped (about ½ of a pepper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. thyme, dried
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (a small pinch)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
How to Prepare Zucchini Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Put grated zucchini into a colander placed over a plate to catch excess liquid. Sprinkle grated zucchini with sea salt, and allow to rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze out remaining liquid with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flaxseed meal and water. Allow to sit and thicken for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, red bell pepper, garlic, chives, Dijon, thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the bowl, and stir to combine.
- Add the brown rice flour ½ at a time to the zucchini mixture, and stir until combined and the batter starts to come together in the bowl.
- Divide batter into 8 equal sections. Form into 8 patties and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet (I used a cast iron skillet), over medium heat add coconut oil. When the coconut oil is melted, gently add zucchini cakes to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes per side.
- Drain zucchini cakes on a paper towel for 2 to 3 minutes, and then serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.