Zucchini is a delightful summer squash that is both nutrient-dense and low in calories. It is a good source of potassium, vitamin C and vitamin A, and is a low glycemic food. The zucchini adds such a nice taste and texture to the cakes, and pairs beautifully with the mustard, garlic and chives. The zucchini cakes have a crispy outside and creamy center.
Zucchini Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large zucchini, grated (about 3 ½ - 4 cups)
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped (about ½ of a pepper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. thyme, dried
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (a small pinch)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Put grated zucchini into a colander placed over a plate to catch excess liquid. Sprinkle grated zucchini with sea salt, and allow to rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze out remaining liquid with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flaxseed meal and water. Allow to sit and thicken for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, red bell pepper, garlic, chives, Dijon, thyme, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the bowl, and stir to combine.
- Add the brown rice flour ½ at a time to the zucchini mixture, and stir until combined and the batter starts to come together in the bowl.
- Divide batter into 8 equal sections. Form into 8 patties and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet (I used a cast iron skillet), over medium heat add coconut oil. When the coconut oil is melted, gently add zucchini cakes to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes per side.
- Drain zucchini cakes on a paper towel for 2 to 3 minutes, and then serve.