I had a packet of spinach tortellini that was gifted to me a few weeks back – mushroom and spinach filled – and I decided to accentuate the flavors further. I wanted a bowl of succulent tortellini and no compromises. So here is what I created, and I have to say, overly delicious indeed, was the result. Easy-as-pie to make too.
Tortellini With Cream and Wild Mushroom Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 package vegan tortellini of your choice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 slices tempeh bacon, cut into small pieces and fried separately
- 1 zucchini, sliced and cooked separately from other ingredients
- 2 cups mixed wild mushrooms, cooked separately from other ingredients
- 2 cups of vegan cream, such as cashew cream or soy cream of your choice
- A little extra non-dairy milk, to keep it creamy without congealing
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh basil, chopped, for garnishing
- Vegan Parmesan, for topping (optional)
- Cook your tortellini al dente (don’t overcook), rinse with cold water, and set aside. Cook mushrooms and zucchini separately.
- Now, in a large non-stick saucepan, add your cooked mushrooms and their juices, tempeh bacon, and garlic. Stir around on a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the zucchini, mix again, and finally, add half the cream. Stir and cover for one minute. Then, add the remaining ingredients, except for the vegan Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, vegan Parmesan, and freshly cut basil leaves.