Absolutely delicious, smoky, and crisp, this tempeh bacon is a cinch to prepare. Once it's ready, simply stack it in sandwiches along with your favorite fillings. If you have tempeh bacon left over, use it atop a fresh garden salad or even in soup!
Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
- 1 8-ounce package of tempeh
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- Combine the marinade options, except the oil, in a tray or container.
- Carefully slice the tempeh as thinly as you can and place in the marinade, ensuring each piece is coated.
- Leave for at least 20 minutes or even overnight.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and melt the oil. Place the tempeh slices in the pan in one layer. If the pan is small, cook in batches.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until it starts to crisp and brown. Serve.
If you want to make oil-free tempeh bacon, lay the slices on an oven tray and bake for 30 minutes, turning once, at 400°F. To ensure this is gluten-free, use gluten-free soy sauce. The tempeh bacon keeps its flavor once refrigerated, but not its crispness, use leftovers in soup.