Are you looking for a hearty filling sandwich even meat lovers will drool over? Look no further that this beanball sub sandwich. Reminiscent of the true Italian classic, this much healthier version will not disappoint.
Beanball Sub Sandwich With Marinara and Greens [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Kale and Lentil Balls:
- 1/2 cup uncooked chopped mushrooms
- 3/4 cups uncooked chopped kale
- Your favorite oil for sautéing veggies (or veggie broth if not using oil)
- 3/4 cups precooked lentils
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats (may need more if mixture is too wet)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons water)
- Himalayan pink salt, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and smoked paprika to taste
- 2 cups of marinara sauce
- 2 cups chopped kale
- a drizzle of your favorite oil for sautéing veggies (or veggie broth if not using oil)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Sprouted wheat or gluten free hot dog buns or sub sandwich rolls
For the Kale and Lentil balls:
- Mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons warm water in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to make flax egg.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sauté chopped mushrooms and kale in oil or veggie broth until soft. Set aside. If lentils are not precooked, cook them according to directions.
- Mash lentils with a potato masher or your hands, leaving some whole pieces, and add them to a large bowl. Add mushroom/kale mix to the bowl.
- Next add the flax egg, gluten free oats, almond meal and sunflower seeds and mix well. Add seasonings and taste, start with a few shakes of each. Add more seasonings if needed, you should taste the seasonings but they shouldn’t overpower the mixture.
- Once you get the taste you like, allow mixture to set a while so oats soak in some liquid (you can also do this after you shape into balls). If the mixture is too wet, then add some more oats 1/4 cup at a time until mixture is a thick dough, not too pasty.
- Shape into 2-inch balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
Assemble the Sandwiches:
- Wash and chop the remaining kale. Sauté kale and garlic in a pan using oil or veggie broth until wilted. Add red sauce and cook until warmed throughout.
- Assemble sandwiches by toasting buns and placing 3 beanballs in each bun. Top with red sauce/kale mixture.
If there is a nut allergy, you can sub more oats for the almond meal. You can also use spinach or swiss chard in place of the kale.