A Glamorgan sausage is a traditional Welsh sausage, with the main ingredients being leek and cheese. So I thought this should be an obvious candidate to be veganized. But I must admit, the Glamorgan sausages I had in my pre-vegan days were a bit on the boring side, so I decided to liven my version up a bit. I was inspired by the ‘devils on horseback’ recipe, which is usually prunes or dates wrapped in bacon, and I thought that some smoked eggplant/aubergine would nicely substitute for bacon – and the result was . . . Fantastic ! My 7-year-old, who is notoriously selective when it comes to vegan food, was completely sold on them. So here they are . . .
Glamorgan Sausages in Eggplant Bacon Wraps [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Glamorgan Sausages in Eggplant Bacon Wraps [Vegan]
For the Sausages:
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small leek, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce
- 3 halved sun-dried tomatoes
- 12 White Button mushrooms, de-stemmed and minced in your food processor and set aside
- Salt, to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons buckwheat flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 tablespoons cilantro (coriander), finely chopped
- A pinch of thyme and sage
For the Smoked Eggplant Bacon:
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into thinnish slices
For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
How to Prepare Glamorgan Sausages in Eggplant Bacon Wraps [Vegan]
To Make the Sausages:
- Gently fry your mushrooms until their juices are released, then stir until the juices have evaporated, so that you have slightly juicy mushrooms but without liquid in the pan, having retained all the flavors.
- Now place all your sunflower seeds in your food processor and process, then remove them into a bowl.
- Next, process your sun dried tomatoes, give them a blitz, and then process the onions and leek, taking care to scraping down the edges of the bowl into the center.
- Now add the sunflower mix to the onion mix, add the mushrooms and the remaining ingredients, and blitz for a few seconds – don’t over process, this step is just so you can incorporate the ingredients together, not to process further, otherwise your mixture won’t thicken properly.
- You should be left with a semi thickish ball. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Then lightly flour a surface with the buckwheat, take a large tablespoon of the mixture, roll into a ball, and on your floured surface shape lightly into the shape of a medium to small sausage – do this with them all. Handle with care.
- Now it’s time to roll them.
To Make the Smoked Eggplant Bacon:
- Place the marinade ingredients in a small cup, and stir very well. Then, pour the mixture onto a flat plate, dip each slice of eggplant on both sides into this mixture, and place in a dish. Do the same to all your eggplant slices, then cover and marinate in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Now fry each piece in a skillet pan, with the grooves of the pan running parallel with the length of the eggplant slice, so that it leaves lines on the eggplant – in this way it emulates a bacon slice. Turn them over gently when marked and cooked (but don’t overcook them).
- Preheat your oven to 300ºF. Allow the ‘bacon’ slices to cool, then wrap around the center of the sausages, and place in a pre-greased oven dish. Now bake in the oven for 20 minutes or a little longer. Then serve with mustard and a healthy salad with tasty dressing.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.