If you've never tried making your own dairy-free ice cream at home before, this is the place to start! This dreamy vegan treat harnesses the power of cashews and coconut milk to achieve ultimate creaminess. You won't believe it until you taste it!
Creamiest Chocolate Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (vegan)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a blender, combine cashews, water, xanthan gum, instant espresso, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, coconut cream and coconut milk. Blend on high till everything is nice and smooth.
- Pour out all of this mixture into a saucepan, leaving 1 cup of it behind.
- To the filled saucepan, add sugar and dark chocolate. Stir over low heat until chocolate and sugar have fully melted and mixture is warm.
- To the remaining 1 cup of liquid, whisk in cornstarch till dissolved. Gradually stream this mixture into the saucepan whilst whisking non stop. Once everything has been incorporated, whisk away until the mixture comes to a soft boil. This is to cook out the cornstarch and thicken the mix. But, remember to whisk, whisk, whisk so no lumps form!
- Once it has come to a soft boil, turn heat off and transfer mixture into a bowl or measuring cup. Cover with cling film and make sure to press it against the surface of the mixture so a skin does not form.
- Cool to room temperature and then churn in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once out of the ice cream maker, place in an airtight ice cream or tupperware box, cover, and freeze to allow it to further firm up.
Before churning, the mixture will be very thick - this is normal. It is just the cornstarch thickening up. Whisk to loosen up first if you think it is too solid to chuck into the ice cream maker. Try to not cut down the amount of sugar in the recipe - ice cream needs a certain amount of sugar to inhibit it from freezing rock solid. If your freezer is really really cold, your ice cream may need to sit out for 10 minutes on the counter to soften up so that it is scoopable. My freezer is set to a higher temperature, so I do not need to do that.