Sometimes the most affordable and healthy options are to make homemade versions of your favorite food and beverages, especially ones like coconut milk which take very little time. Instead of a long list of ingredients you need only two: unsweetened coconut and water, and just three ingredients if you love the flavor of vanilla in your beverages as I do. My family has bought many cartons of coconut milk, but it is really easy to make your own, and that way you can feel great about skipping all the additives found in processed brands. Plus anything you make at home contains love, and it doesn't get any sweeter than that. To your good health, to the health of your family, and to the health of our nation! Spread love and homemade cheer!
How to Make Homemade Unsweetened Coconut Milk
Approx 7 ½ cups
- 8 cups filtered water, divided into 4 cups, plus 4 cups
- 4 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (optional), divided
- 2 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Pour 4 cups of water into a blender. Add 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (optional) and 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut. Blend on high for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile line a colander with cheesecloth folder over three or four times for maximum straining. Straining the coconut milk through cheesecloth is an important step to keep the milk from becoming gritty. Place the colander over a large bowl to strain.
- Pour the coconut milk through the cheesecloth-lined colander into the bowl.
- Gather up the sides of the cheesecloth, and squeeze out all the liquid into the colander. Save the coconut pulp to repeat the process one more time.
- Add 4 cups of water to the blender, and 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (optional), as well as the coconut pulp from the first straining.
- Blend on high for 3 minutes. Strain the milk through the cheesecloth. Gather up the sides of the cheesecloth, and squeeze out excess liquid over the colander.
- Store coconut milk in a Mason jar or milk jug in the refrigerator.