These quinoa kale veggie burgers are super easy to make. A combination of fresh herbs, like garlic and fresh cilantro, and a blend of spices with tangy barbecue sauce ensures that these crispy burgers never fall short on flavor. How you cook them — on the grill, on stovetop, or in the oven, is up to you and all three ways work great.
Quinoa Kale Veggie Burgers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Quinoa Kale Veggie Burgers [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup bread crumbs or gluten-free oats
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or any white bean, chickpea, northern)
For the Spice Mix:
- 1/2 cup vegan barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
How to Prepare Quinoa Kale Veggie Burgers [Vegan]
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa and breadcrumbs.
- Heat a medium-sized pan on the stovetop with 1 tablespoon olive oil (or 1/3 cup water for oil-free). Sauté the onion and garlic, plus a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper, for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Then, transfer to the large bowl.
- In a food processor, pulse the kale, cilantro, and carrots until grated/shredded. Transfer to the large bowl. Next, add the white beans to food processor and pulse until mashed. This doesn't have to be completely smooth; you can leave a few chunks. Transfer to large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for spice mix. Pour over burger mixture and mix well. Form 6 burger patties.
- Cook one of three ways: on the grill, on the stovetop, or bake in the oven.
- For the grilling method, handle the burgers very carefully. They need to be flipped gently or they will fall apart. Place them on aluminum foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and grill, about 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- You can also grill them in a grill pan on the stovetop. For this method, you will need some non-stick spray or olive oil so they won't stick. Grill on medium-high heat on each side for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remember, flip them gently.
- Bake them in the oven on a lined and sprayed/oiled baking sheet at 375°F for 7-8 minutes, then gently flip them and bake for another 7-8 minutes, or until they're nice and browned.
Leftover burgers can be refrigerated up to 3 days, or frozen up to 3 months.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.