My favorite desserts almost always come from combining my favorite parts of other desserts. To start, I was filling inspired by the coconuts I had sitting in my fridge. From there I started dreaming up what could be paired with it. And then this was born. I combined a light macadamia crust from one recipe, a chocolate ganache from another recipe, and a coconut cream from yet another. Because it was strawberry season I included some of those as well. And the topping. Ohhh the topping. I had seen this idea around the blogger-sphere for quite awhile and I'd been wanting to try it out. It was so easy and delicious.
Raw Strawberry Chocolate Coconut Pie [Vegan]
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 cups shredded dry coconut
- 2 T coconut oil
- 3-4 T maple syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water, added slowly
- 5-10 strawberries, de-stemmed and sliced
- 2 whole young coconuts, meat only
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- coconut water (if needed)
- 2 grinds of sea salt
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract (or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean)
- 1 can coconut milk (in the fridge overnight)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- Process your crust ingredients in a food processor until sticky but still chunky. Dump onto your pan (I used a tart pan) and press down until firm. It should be crumbly but also sticky enough to hold. Set aside on the counter.
- For the chocolate layer, blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, adding water slowly as needed (don't over water). Spread on top of the crust and put in the fridge for an hour (or so) until set.
- Slice all your strawberries and layer them over the chocolate layer. Any leftovers can be folded into the coconut cream topping.
- Blend the ingredients in a blender until smooth. ( ... add coconut water if needed, 1 T at a time) Pour filling into a bowl and fold in the remaining strawberry slices. Pour over the chocolate and smooth out.
- Leave the can in the fridge overnight. The next day open the can and scoop out the hardened cream. Leave the liquid for another use. I mixed the cream in a KitchenAid mixer with a couple tablespoons of maple syrup and an 1/8th of a teaspoon of seeds from a vanilla bean. Spread over the top of the pie and sprinkle the flakes over the top.
- Let the whole pie chill until you're ready to serve.