These Caramel-Glazed Baked Donuts are adorned with melted dark chocolate.
Chocolate Caramel Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup soy buttermilk (1/2 cup soy milk plus 1/2 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Caramel glaze frosting (See recipe below)
- Chocolate topping (See recipe below)
For the Caramel Glaze Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/2 tablespoon soy milk
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Heat your oven to 350°F and coat a baked donut pan with vegetable spray.
- Place flour, yeast, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stir, and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the corn starch, flax meal, and water. Stir until the ingredients are combined and set aside for the ingredients to thicken.
- In a food processor, add the butter and sugar. Pulse a few seconds until they’re mixed together. Then add the cornstarch mixture and pulse again until combined. Then add the soy buttermilk and vanilla and pulse again until everything is combined.
- Now add your flour mixture to the food processor and pulse a few more seconds until your dough is formed. It should be a thin, sticky kind of dough.
- Pour the batter into each doughnut mould in your prepared pan, about 3 tablespoons per mould.
- Let the batter sit in the pan for a minute or two so the yeast can start to rise. Then bake the doughnuts for 15-18 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they get a nice golden color. Remove them from the oven and cool.
To Make the Caramel Glaze Frosting:
- In a small saucepan, heat the margarine and brown sugar over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Stir and let the mixture boil for a minute or so. It will start to get a deep, rich color and that’s when you know it’s ready. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Stir that around a bit. Allow the mixture to cool for a bit and then add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring between each addition.
To Make the Chocolate Frosting:
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and add the agave nectar. Microwave this for 11 seconds (the agave helps it melt fast!). Your chocolate chips should be melted now. Stir the melted chocolate and agave together until you get a nice, thick consistency. Add the soy milk and stir until everything is smooth and creamy and ready to roll.
Make this gluten-free by using 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup buckwheat flour, & 1/4 cup white rice flour…or a gluten-free flour blend.