In this delectable pie, each layer is more addicting than the one before! I start with a chocolate wafer crust onto which I slather a thick layer of chocolate ganache. Next comes my "secret" ingredient: Cream of Coconut-Peanut Caramel. Piled on top of that is a dense and creamy--light but rich--ultra thick layer of chocolate-peanut butter filling. And, finally, the crowning glory is a drizzle of melted dark chocolate with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts. Good grief! This is one exceptional pie. Though it was tempting to devour the entire thing myself, I decided to invite two friends over this week on separate occasions to enjoy a slice of pie and tea served from my mother's tea set. Both of them requested the recipe and neither are vegan! The Cream of Coconut Caramel was inspired by that caramel that is made by simmering a can of condensed milk for 3 hours. However, since it is not vegan, I haven't made it in years and I needed to devise a substitution. The Cream of Coconut is outrageously good as a substitute, though it behaves differently as I explain in the recipe below. Where I live, we are unable to purchase vegan condensed milk. However, if it is available to you, feel free to try it. I have just never experimented with it and don't know how or if it would work.
Snickers-Inspired Chocolate, Caramel, and Peanut Butter Pie [Vegan]
8 - 10
- 1 can Cream of Coconut, covered with water in a medium (2-quart) saucepan, and gently simmered, loosely covered, for 3 hours; cooled (I used the reduced-fat version)
- 1 cup coarse-fine chopped peanuts
- Open the cooled can of Cream of Coconut and transfer the caramel colored "cream" into a small covered carton and refrigerate overnight or until very cold. It will separate, so remove and discard the hardened white "fat" on top. Add 6 tablespoons of the caramel to the peanuts and stir well to combine. Cover and set aside until ready to use. Store remaining caramel, covered, back in the refrigerator for another use.
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted vegan butter (the original recipe called for dairy butter)
- 3/4 cup soy creamer
- 3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Heat soy creamer in a small (1 quart) saucepan to simmering over medium-high heat or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. Remove from the heat (or microwave), and add chocolate chips. Whisk until well combined, thick, and creamy. Set aside to cool to almost room temperature. It will thicken even more as it cools. Spread 1/2 cup of ganache in the bottom of the cooled crust. Reserve remainder. Top with Cream of Coconut-Peanut Caramel.
- 1-14 ounce package extra-firm tofu (not Silken), drained if necessary
- 1/2 cup natural sugar
- Remaining Chocolate Ganache
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 4 ounces vegan dark chocolate chips, melted, and cooled until still of a drizzle consistency
- 1/3 cup finely chopped roasted and lightly salted peanuts
You need to begin the Cream of Coconut Caramel the day before you plan to make the pie.