From the title, these little squares of heaven sound like a real treat right?! I mean the fattening kind of vegan treat. Not the kind of vegan treat that is made out of one ingredient and called a healthy dessert. I mean the kind that you may regret eating later (even though you should indulge every now and again!) BUT – let me tell you, these decadent squares taste like frozen freezer fudge layered brownies and come with no guilt-strings attached. This recipe has proved to be one of those that never fails – one you can keep coming back to. Promise.
No-Bake Double Chocolate Brownie Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats (or oat flour)
- 1 cup gooey Medjool dates (soak in hot water for 10 minutes if they're not soft)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons carob powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 very ripe and spotty bananas
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or any other sticky sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower butter (or any nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips, for topping
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend the rolled oats until fine like a flour, unless using oat flour. Add in the rest of the ingredients for the Brownie Crust Layer and process until well combined and mixture clumps together in one ball. Transfer the crust mixture to a lined loaf pan and press down until even. Set aside.
- Now add all ingredients for the Chocolate Fudge Layer into the food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour mixture over the crust, scraping down the sides with a spatula.
- Sprinkle vegan chocolate chips on top.
- Freeze for about 4 hours until firm. Cut into pieces and freeze again for 20-30 minutes to firm up more and prevent melting - if you can wait that long!
- Store leftovers in the freezer, covered.