Lentils and cabbage are two ingredients that may not be that exciting on their own but put them together and submerge them in a ridiculously flavorful tomato sauce? Amazing. These cabbage rolls are hearty from the white rice and lentils, savory thanks to the sautéed onions, salt, and pepper, and super easy to make. Serve these warm on their own, with a side of mashed potatoes, or with bread for soaking up all of the tomatoey deliciousness.
Lentil Stuffed Cabbage Rolls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup high heat oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can of brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of cooked white rice
- 8 full cabbage leaves or 14 -16 half leaves
- 1 14-ounce can of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat half the oil and add half of the chopped onion. Sauté the onion until it begins softening and turning translucent.
- Add in the brown lentils and cook for one minute.
- Add in the cooked rice and seasoning to taste cooking for 5 minutes.
- Set this mixture aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to the boil and boil the cabbage leaves for 1-2 minutes each. Remove from water and set aside.
- In the same large saucepan (without the water), add the remainder of the oil and onion and sauté for 2 minutes.Add in the canned tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes on a gentle simmer.
- Add in a 1/2 cup of water and season to taste.
- While the sauce is cooking, lay out the cabbage leaves overlapping smaller leaves to form one larger leaf if necessary.
- Place a portion of the mixture in the center of each. Fold bottom half of cabbage over filling, then fold in sides, and roll up tightly. Transfer cabbage rolls, seam side down on a plate.
- Once you have finished rolling the cabbage rolls and the sauce has been cooking for 10 minutes, place all the cabbage rolls in the sauce and cook for another 10 minutes.