If you've ever had meatballs made from seitan, textured vegetable protein, or even tofu, you know that it's possible to make delicious meatless meatballs. But did you know, you can make meaty and hearty meatballs from legumes, grains, and nuts? It's true! In this recipe, lentils, millet, walnuts are combined along with onions, tomato paste, and spices and herbs, and then baked until brown and crispy. Toss these meatballs on a blanket of spinach leaves and brown rice pasta, add some cashew cheese if your heart desires it, and dig in.
Lentil, Walnut, and Millet Meatballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup dry millet
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- Cook lentils by bringing 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of lentils, turn heat to low and simmer for 50 minutes until lentils are cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Place cooked lentils in a large mixing bowl.
- Cook millet by placing 1 cup of water and a 1/2 cup of millet in a pot.
- Bring to a simmer, turn to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place cooked millet in the mixing bowl with the lentils.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the rice flour to the mixing bowl (onion, walnuts, tomato paste, parsley,garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and water).
- Stir mixture so that all of the ingredients are combined.
- Place the mixture in a food processor and process until smooth (you may have to do this in two batches depending on the size of your food processor).
- Once all of the meatball mixture has been processed, place it back in the large bowl and sprinkle in the rice flour.
- Stir until the rice flour is mixed in.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Take the mixture and roll into whatever size meatballs you like. e
- Place them on a very lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes. Serve.
You can cook the lentils and millet a day in advance to help cut down on time.