Latkes are a must-have at any celebratory Hanukkah table. However, these lovable, crisp potato pancakes are not always plant-based or the healthiest option out there. Thanks to the magic of vegan cooking, no one has to miss out on enjoying latkes for dietary or personal reasons! We searched through all of the Food Monster App offerings and found at least one plant-based latke recipe for anyone’s diet, taste, or preferences.
Source: Oven-Baked Latkes
Latkes, also known as potato pancakes, are delicious — after all, they’re made from potatoes! Typically, they are fried and loaded with oil and fat … Enter these equally-as-delicious, slightly crispy oil-free, Oven-Baked Latkes by Annie Markowitz! Seriously, that is unheard of in the latke world. Serve these with a dollop of vegan sour cream or applesauce for the perfect flavor pairing.
Source: Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes
In this recipe by Maya Popovich, sweet potato and apple are shredded and combined to form crispy and unique Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes. The latkes are a little sweet and a little tangy from the added onion. They’re perfect when paired with this creamy lemon tahini sauce. These can be ready in little to no time, so they also make a fantastic snack! Serve with kale if you’re craving leafy greens on the side.
Maikki Vasala‘s Latkes With Fennel and Avocado Tartare breathe newness into the German style of eating latkes with creme fraiche and applesauce. The fresh flavors of fennel, dill, green apple, and horseradish balance the creaminess of the avocado and the crispiness of the latkes. The leftover tartare is also the perfect spread for a sandwich or wrap!
Winter Cookbook: Heartwarming Plant-Based Recipes for the Cooler Months
As the seasons change and the weather gets chillier, there is truly nothing better than spending time in the kitchen with loved ones while cooking up cozy, soul-warming, home-cooked plant-based meals. This vegan winter cookbook includes 75 stunning vegan recipes with amazing photos! With this cookbook, you’ll find countless comforting recipes to inspire you and help you make the most of winter’s abundant variety of seasonal fruits and vegetables! This cookbook features warm and comforting plant-based recipes like Pasta with Creamy Chestnut Pesto and Mushroom Bisque With Cashew Cream, festive sweets like Glazed Cinnamon Bun Cookies and Caramel Topped Gingersnap Brownies, and Roasted Winter Vegetable Bowls with Couscous, Romesco Sauce, and Tahini Drizzle, this cookbook offers everything you need to create a stunning winter spread!
Source: Pumpkin Spiced Latkes
An unexpected seasonal twist on a traditional dish is surprisingly delicious! Pumpkin is the perfect complement to potato latkes in this dish. Subtle hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove mesh perfectly with the pumpkin and potato base of this latke. Top these Pumpkin Spiced Latkes by Sarah and Rocco Pirri with vegan sour cream and onion to make it even more interesting!
This tried-and-true vegan Latkes recipe by Nava Atlas uses oatmeal to hold together the grated potato in place of the customary eggs. For a gluten-free version, quinoa flakes work splendidly. A bit of grated carrot adds extra color and flavor.
Betsy DiJulio‘s Sweet Potato Latkes With Curried Onion-Apple-White Beans are golden beauties: delicious, filling, and festive. And though they are ideal for special occasions, they are simple enough for any day of the week. Jazz up the vegan sour cream layer by folding in chutney.
Source: Harvest Latkes
Rinku Bhattacharya‘s Harvest Latkes are a crisp and spicy take on traditional potato pancakes with rutabaga. The caraway seeds, garlic, and cilantro add a range of flavors you would not expect for any ordinary latke.
Source: Potato and Spinach Latkes
Just one ingredient is all that it takes to breathe new life into an old recipe. Rosalie Livingstone‘s Potato and Spinach Latkes have all the goodness of the traditional dish, with the added goodness of fresh kale! Frying them makes them perfectly crispy.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.