Latkes, also known as potato pancakes, are delicious — after all, they're made from potatoes! Typically, they are fried and loaded with oil and fat ... Enter these equally-as-delicious, slightly crispy, oven-baked, oil-free latkes! Seriously, that is unheard of in the latke world. Serve these with a dollop of vegan sour cream or applesauce for the perfect flavor pairing.
Oven-Baked Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon ground flax or ground chia seeds, plus 3 tablespoons water
- 3 medium-sized potatoes (about 5 cups), quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup gluten-free quick oats
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour (or 1/2 cup gluten-free quick oats ground into flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Applesauce, for topping (optional)
- Vegan sour cream, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F, spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In small mixing bowl, combine ground flax with water and set aside.
- Add potatoes and onions to high-speed blender or food processor, and process until they appear to be chopped finely.
- Pour into colander and let drain for 10 minutes, pressing down with a paper towel occasionally to soak up excess moisture.
- Place potato and onion mixture in large mixing bowl, add in remaining ingredients (including flax mixture), and stir to combine.
- Form into 14 equal-sized patties, and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for 10 minutes, flip again and bake for 5 minutes, flip again and bake for 5 minutes. Repeat this until desired brown-ness is reached (mine were done after three flips).
- Top with applesauce or vegan sour cream
- Flax Seed
- Potato Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile