This really is the perfect dish to make for a get together; you can do it the night before and simply slice and serve for your gathering. Casual and simple yet elegant in it's simplicity.
White Bean Nicoise Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 long French baguette cut lengthwise in half
- 15 oz cooked cannellini beans (if using canned be sure to drain and rinse first)
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for drizzling
- In a bowl add the beans, roasted red pepper, onion and kalamata olives and salt and pepper. Using a potato masher lightly mash all ingredients together until the beans are just breaking apart.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice and Dijon mustard in a small dish until emulsified. Set aside.
- Using your fingers remove some of the interior soft bread from the baguette halves in order to make a well for your filling.
- Add the olive oil and lemon dressing to the bean and olive mixture, stir well and re-season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Drizzle each baguette half with some olive oil and fill the well on one side of the baguette with the bean mixture. Place basil leaves across the top and then top with the other slice of baguette. Wrap in plastic and set heavy bricks, books or other objects on top to press the sandwich.
- Press for an hour or overnight (if pressing overnight be sure to place in the refrigerator).
- Slice and serve.
- Beans - White