Fluffy yeast dough, with a scrumptious matcha buttercream filling and extra crunchiness on the outside, who can say no to that?
Matcha Filled Doughnuts (Sufganiyot) [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 teaspoon (4.5 grams) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) soy milk, lukewarm
- 1 1/3 cups (180 grams) flour (more for kneading)
- 3 Tablespoon (36 grams) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon (14 grams) vegan butter, softened at room temperature
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) vegan butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 Tablespoon (24 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) matcha powder
- 1 Tablespoon (8 grams) matcha powder (for dusting)
- 1 Tablespoon (8 grams) powdered sugar (for dusting)
- In a small bowl, stir together yeast, warm soy milk and 1 Tablespoon of the sugar. Set in a arm place for 5-10 minutes until foamy.
- In another large bowl, soft together the remaining sugar, flour and salt. Create a well in the flour mixture and add the softened butter and yeast mixture.
- Stir until mixture begins to come together into a ball.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 8-10 minutes until it bounces back when poked gently.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 1 hour until the dough has doubled.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface 1/2” (1.2 centimeters) thick. Use a glass/cookie cutter to cut out circles until no dough remains.
- Cover with a towel and let rise another 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot/pan to 370°F/190°C.
- Fry donuts in small batches, cooking each side for 30 seconds or until golden
- Place the cooked donuts on a paper towel to cool. Repeat until all donuts are fried.
- For the filling simply combine all ingredients until smooth. Place into a piping bag. Poke the tip of your pastry bag into the side of the donut and slowly, but firmly fill the donut with desired amount of matcha cream, then dust with the sugar/matcha powder.
1 cup equals 250 ml. You'll need a cooking thermometer for frying.