A crisp and spicy take on traditional potato pancakes with rutabaga.
Harvest Latkes [Vegan]
- 1 medium-sized rutabaga
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 4 pods of garlic, grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (sold as shah jeera in Indian stores)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Oil for frying the latkes
- Peel and shred the rutabaga, using a hand grater, this should yield about 2 cups.
- Peel and shred the potato, should yield about 1 cup.
- Place the vegetables with the salt on a colander and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the vegetables in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the cilantro, garlic, onion, caraway seeds, flour, cornstarch and the black pepper and toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large flat skillet.
- Shape the vegetables into small 2 inch flat pancakes and gently ease into the oil. Cook them for about 3 minutes on each side, until they are nice and golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile