Cake is the answer to every woe and sorrow. Sometimes I don’t feel like sharing. Sometimes I want a wee cake all to myself – and yes I may or may not eat some for breakfast. When I say this makes four servings, I mean it makes four servings for you.
Mini Red Velvet Cake With Fluffy Coconut Cream Frosting [Vegan]
Mini Red Velvet Cake
- 2 medium-sized beetroots
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp soya milk
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp powdered stevia
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup soya milk
- 1-2 tbsp natural red food coloring
- 1/2 cup beet puree (see method below)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed, plus 3 tbsp water, left to gel in a little bowl for about 5 mins)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp stevia
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk (optional)
Mini Red Velvet Cake
- For the beetroot puree: roast the beetroots in their skins, wrapped in tin foil, for an hour at 200 degrees C (400 degrees C). Leave to cool for a few minutes before removing them from their skins and roughly chopping them up. Puree in a food processor, adding the soya milk and lemon juice to help the process.
- For the cake: Lower the temperature of the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease two 12cm (6 inch) springform cake tins.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together the wet ingredients in another, then fold into the dry ingredients until just incorporated. The batter should be fairly liquid and evenly combined, with no lumps remaining.
- Divide the batter evenly between the tins. Bake for 35 minutes at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Cool on a wire rack. Remove from the tins and spread coconut cream frosting on one of the cakes; sandwich the other cake on top and cover with the remainder of the cream.
- Whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl, then refrigerate for at least an hour. The psyllium husk will make the frosting hold up more strongly, especially when it is sandwiched between the two cakes, but you can leave it out.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
is it possible to have recipes in a printable format? I would certainly appreciate it. many thanks
Is it possible to make this recipe with gluten free flour and non soy milk ?