For this recipe, I mixed the sprouted brown rice with a creamy, vegan/non-dairy cheesy sauce, sauteed onions, mushroom and spinach, and a little spice from red pepper flakes. And, you could also add your favorite sausage (vegan or non-vegan) to make it even more filling. The other special thing about this recipe is that I used sprouted brown rice instead of plain brown rice. Enjoy!
Cheesy Sprouted Brown Rice With Baby Spinach and Mushrooms [Vegan]
2 - 4
- 2 cups sprouted brown rice - cooked
- 3 cups distilled/purified water (to cook the rice)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup organic mushrooms (diced)
- 2 cups organic baby spinach (diced)
- 1/2 cup organic onion (diced)
- 2 cloves organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1 1/2 cup organic cauliflower
- 1 cup homemade almond milk
- 1/2 cup organic cashews
- 1/2 cup organic zucchini (peeled and cubed)
- 3/4 cups nutritional yeast
- 1 clove organic garlic (freshly crushed)
- 1/8 teaspoon organic tumeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- Stovetop - bring (3) cups of water to a rolling boil. Add (2) cups of sprouted brown rice. Stir, cover tightly, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 25 minutes and DO NOT remove the lid. Fluff prior to serving.
- Rice Cooker - add (3) cups of distilled/purified water and (2) cups of sprouted brown rice and set the cooker on the "brown rice" setting. Fluff prior to serving.
- Add all ingredients for the sauce in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables: dice the baby spinach, mushrooms, onions and crush the garlic.
- Add all the diced veggies and (1) tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to a skillet and saute on low-med heat for approximately 2 - 3 minutes, or until the onions and spinach become soft.
- In the same skillet, add (2) cups of the cooked rice and the entire sauce mixture (approximately 1 1/2 cups) and stir until well combined.
- Optional: If you want to add sausage, add 1 - 2 cups of sliced vegan sausage to the skillet and stir until the sausage is warmed up.
- Optional: Garnish with extra diced baby spinach.
- Best served when hot.
Tip #1: You can make the sprouted brown rice on the stove or in a rice cooker. I made mine in a rice cooker on the “brown rice” setting using the same measurements as the cook top method. You may have a little more rice than the (2) cups needed for the recipe, so you can either add the extra to the recipe or use the rice for something else. Tip #2: If you don’t want it too spicy, just use 1/2 teaspoon (or less) of the red pepper flakes. Tip #3: I’ve also made this with vegan sausage which would make it more of a meal than a side dish and it would add significant protein (26 g in one link), but decided to make it optional for a couple of reasons. The vegan sausage I use – Field Roast “Smoked Apple Sage” sausage isn’t gluten-free, so this would no longer be a gluten-free meal. If you needed the meal to be vegan, but not gluten-free, you could add this vegan sausage – I used (2) links. If you chose to use a non-vegan, regular meat sausage, I would have no idea of how to tell you to cook/prepare it. But this would be an option if you didn’t need it to be vegan, but needed it gluten-free. Or, just leave out the sausage all together if you need it vegan and gluten-free. Tip #4: I used “baby bella” mushrooms, but you can you whatever type you prefer.
- Brown Rice
- Cheesy Recipes