Applesauce is deliciously versatile - you can use it in a wide variety of baked goods, as a condiment (I love it on potato latkes), or eat it all on its own. It's a snap to make applesauce at home. There's an initial time investment to peel and chop the apples, but once the fruit is in the pot it's a very hand-off process.
Homemade Applesauce [Vegan]
- 6 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
- Drop apples into a pot and turn on medium heat.
- Add in the cinnamon, maple syrup and water. As the apples cook, add more water if needed.
- Cook apples until soft, then mash with a potato masher. If you prefer super smooth applesauce, whirl in a food processor.
You can use any kind of apple in this recipe. There are plenty of varieties available at this time of year, so mix it up and add a few different kinds!