This recipe is luscious and comforting and good for you all at the same time. The raw hulled pumpkin seeds used in the recipe are what gives it it’s richness, as they’re full of healthy fats, and are an excellent source of plant protein, iron, and zinc.
Creamy Pumpkin Seed Alfredo With Kale and Sweet Peas [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup raw, hulled pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 shallot, peeled and quartered (can also use onion about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Pinch nutmeg
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch of kale (3-4 leaves, stems removes, chopped)
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 pound pasta of choice
- Bring water to boil for pasta and cook as you normally would. In the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, add chopped kale and peas. Drain and return to pot.
- While pasta is cooking, place all ingredients for Alfredo sauce, pumpkin seeds through black pepper into a blender (the higher speed the better), and blend until completely creamy. For a standard, non-high speed blender, this may take 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Pour contents of blender into a small saucepan and cook over low hear, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Season to taste.
- Pour Alfredo sauce over pasta and veggies, stir well, and serve immediately. Enjoy!