This is part of our #5under5 recipe series, a collection of original plant-based recipes made by yours truly that cost less than $5 per serving and can be made with only five ingredients. No way, right?! Throwing a bash at your haunted mansion this Halloween? Try serving up a platter of eyeballs! But not just any eyeballs ... bloody monster eyeballs! Soft, rich coconut truffles are stuffed with juicy raspberries and chocolate chips to create the trickiest treat you ever laid eyes on (and will look right back at you)! Have an idea for a #5under5 recipe? Send it to [email protected] and you might just see it on the site next week! If you make this dish, make sure to post it on social media with #5under5 and @onegreenplanet so we can see your amazing creation!
#5under5: Nightmare-Worthy Bloody Coconut Raspberry Monster Eyeballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (DO NOT use reduced-fat coconut! It won't work, trust us!) – $2.75
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup – $0.63
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil – $0.54
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of vanilla extract (optional)
- 20 raspberries (fresh or frozen) – $0.40
- 20 vegan chocolate chips – $0.56
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, process the coconut, maple syrup, coconut oil, salt, and vanilla (if using) until everything is combined and a thick, oily dough is formed. Portion the dough out into 20 scoops on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until the dough is cold and solid, about 10-15 minutes.
- Break out a pair of rubber gloves for this part – it's gonna get a little messy! Remove the pre-portioned dough scoops out of the freezer and roll them into balls. The dough may seem hard to shape at first, but the heat from your hands will soften it eventually.
- Make a deep indentation in the middle of each coconut ball with your finger and stuff a raspberry inside – this is the "iris" of the eyeball. Top it off with a chocolate chip (flat side up) to create the "pupil." Decorate with splatters of extra raspberry juice to make the eyeballs look extra scary and "bloody."
- Serve to your friends ... and beware!
The cost of the serving size above is based on the NYC Metro Area product pricing below: Coconut oil: $6.00 Maple syrup: $4.99 Frozen raspberries: $2.80 Unsweetened shredded coconut: $3.70 Chocolate chips: $4.50