Vegan Okonomiyaki are perfect for any meal. The ingredients for these vegan savory omelets or pancakes are super easy to get and cheap! After you make the batter, you can pretty much add any fillings you’d like. "Okonomiyaki' means "grilled as you like it". And that's true––you can add all sorts of odds and sods, leftovers, etc. So use your imagination with these Vegan Okonomiyaki and add in what you like!
Ingredients You Need for Okonomiyaki [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup cake & pastry flour (use white, or use white whole wheat pastry flour) OR a baking-ready GF flour mix
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour (This adds color, a slightly “eggy” flavor, and good nutrition.
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup liquid egg replacer
- 1 tablespoon dry to medium sherry, or Japanese rice wine
- 2 cups thinly sliced and chopped cabbage, with any tough parts discarded
- 2 large green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced seitan, baked tofu, or commercial vegan meat or chicken sub, OR chopped vegan “ham” or “bacon”, OR reconstituted Soy Curls or textured soy protein chunks, chopped, OR chopped vegetarian "shrimp"
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy fruit chutney
- Chopped green onions
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Nori (seaweed) flakes
- pickled ginger
How to Prepare Okonomiyaki [Vegan]
- You will need two 8-inch non-stick skillets. Whisk together the cake flour, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Mix in water, egg replacer and sherry or rice wine and whisk in until smooth. Stir in the chopped cabbage, green onions, meat sub of choice, and optional vegan “bacon bits”, if using, mixing well.
- Heat the skillets over high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil to each skillet (you may need a bit more if your skillets are not non-stick).
- Pour half of the mixture into each skillet and pat out with the back of a soup spoon into a round 8-inch pancake. Cover the skillets and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes over. If they are browning too quickly, turn the heat down a little. If they need a bit more oil, dribble just a bit around the edges.
- Cover and cook for another 2 minutes. Flip them over again, lower the heat a bit if necessary, cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Brush the tops of the omelets with Okonomiyaki Sauce and dribble artistically with the Sriracha Mayo. Serve immediately with as-is or with desired garnishes and dig in!
NOTE: If you have no cake flour, you can make your own with 7/8 cup (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) unbleached white flour whisked well with 2 tablespoons cornstarch.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2151 | Total Carbs: 146 g | Total Fat: 113 g | Total Protein: 46 g | Total Sodium: 3744 g | Total Sugar: 18 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.