Sriracha is a popular hot sauce from a town in Thailand of the same name. It's made by fermenting, then sweetening a sauce of chili peppers and it's incredibly easy to make at home. All you do is combine all the ingredients, let them rest in a tightly covered mason jar for a week, then add sugar and you're good to go! This sauce tastes great drizzled over just about anything.
Homemade Sriracha [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Homemade Sriracha [Vegan]
- 1 pound Fresno peppers
- 1/2 pound green jalapeños
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
How to Prepare Homemade Sriracha [Vegan]
- Cut the stems (but not the crowns) off the peppers and add them to a food processor. Add the garlic, vinegar, and salt. Process until finely ground. Transfer to a 1/2-gallon glass mason jar (to make it easy to stir) and cover tightly with a lid. Place the jar aside, out of sunlight, for 3-5 days. Stir the chili mixture once a day and taste after three days. If it tastes fermented, it is ready for the next step.
- Add the chili mixture to a blender along with the sugar. Blend until very smooth. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer (not a very fine mesh) and pass all the mixture through as you possibly can. Don’t forget to scrape the underside of the strainer where pulp accumulates.
- Add the strained mixture to a medium saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium heat until it is at the consistency that you like. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and sugar. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Makes 1 1/4 cups.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 462 | Total Carbs: 95 g | Total Fat: 1 g | Total Protein: 12 g | Total Sodium: 4349 g | Total Sugar: 79 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.