By making your own mayo, you can control exactly what goes in it. Oh, and it’s way cheaper than buying vegan mayo or even regular mayo. That's a bonus! I guarantee that if there is a person in your life who can’t have a lot of sodium (or even eggs for that matter), this recipe will make them very happy. A drastic change in diet, especially for health reasons is hard. If this simple recipe can put some normalcy and familiarity back into someone’s life, then I have done my job.
Homemade Mayonnaise [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or less)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 cup canola oil
- Place soy milk, sea salt, ground mustard, garlic powder, vinegar and agave in a blender.
- Place the lid on the blender and turn to slow.
- Take the middle part of the blender’s lid out while the blender is still running and slowly pour in the canola oil.
- Place the lid back on and blend until the mayo is thick and creamy.
This recipe is awesome as is or you can use it as a base and add whatever flavor you like. More garlic, sriracha, wasabi, chives, dill, sun dried tomato, let your imagine run wild and have fun. I suggest using organic canola oil and organic soy milk because canola or soy that isn’t organic has likely been Genetically Modified. You can double this recipe for a bigger batch if you like. This will stay good in the refrigerator for up to a week.