Cauliflower tortitas is a Mexican side of crispy fried cauliflower. Traditionally, tortitas are dropped in an egg batter and fried, but for this version is totally egg-free! The tomato-chipotle sauce gives this dish the acidity and spiciness that pairs very well with the crunchiness of the cauliflower. This is great as a side or as a main served with grains and a side of greens.
Cauliflower Tortitas: Mexican Fried Cauliflower [Vegan]
For the Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups soda water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 whole cauliflower, large, cut into florets
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 14-5ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce in the blender and process until smooth.
- Bring sauce to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch into a large bowl. Add the salt and soda water. Whisk until combined. The batter should have the consistency of a thick pancake batter. Add more water as necessary.
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 350°F.
- Once the oil is hot, use your hands to drop the cauliflower in the batter and then into the oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the batter is crispy and slightly golden.
- Remove from oil and place on a plate or tray lined with paper towels. Serve with spicy tomato sauce.