Cauliflower tortitas is a Mexican side of crispy fried cauliflower. Traditionally, tortitas are dropped in an egg batter and fried, but for this version is totally egg-free! The tomato-chipotle sauce gives this dish the acidity and spiciness that pairs very well with the crunchiness of the cauliflower. This is great as a side or as a main served with grains and a side of greens.
Cauliflower Tortitas: Mexican Fried Cauliflower [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cauliflower Tortitas: Mexican Fried Cauliflower [Vegan]
For the Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups soda water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 whole cauliflower, large, cut into florets
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 14-5ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
How to Prepare Cauliflower Tortitas: Mexican Fried Cauliflower [Vegan]
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce in the blender and process until smooth.
- Bring sauce to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and cornstarch into a large bowl. Add the salt and soda water. Whisk until combined. The batter should have the consistency of a thick pancake batter. Add more water as necessary.
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 350°F.
- Once the oil is hot, use your hands to drop the cauliflower in the batter and then into the oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the batter is crispy and slightly golden.
- Remove from oil and place on a plate or tray lined with paper towels. Serve with spicy tomato sauce.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.