This dairy-free and cultured cheese is light and tasty. It takes a bit to make (two days) but believe us it's worth it! Pair it with your favorite crackers, some fruit, or a glass of wine.
Brazil Nut Cheese [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Brazil Nut Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw Brazil nuts, soaked for 5-8 hours
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup za’atar
- Salt, to taste
How to Prepare Brazil Nut Cheese [Vegan]
- Add the soaked Brazil nuts, nutritional yeast, apple cider, water, and salt to a blender and blitz until the mixture has reached a smooth consistency.
- Grab a glass bowl and place it in the sink. Using a nut milk or sprouting bag, pour the entire contents of the blender into the nut milk bag and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Once the mixture is slightly moist but slightly crumbly, keep it in the bag and place it into a ramekin. Allow the nut cheese to sit on the counter for two full days, checking it periodically to make sure that it is fermenting safely. It should smell slightly sour, but not foul.
- After two days, remove from ramekin gently and roll out of the nut milk bag. Put the cheese on a small plate, without the ramekin, free standing and refrigerate for one more day.
- Once the cheese is set, pour the za’atar onto a flat surface and roll to cover the whole cheese ball.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.