This is an adapted Indian recipe. It’s delicious alongside some sautéed greens, or with another curry dish, like Masoor Dal.
Chile-Garlic Potatoes and Cauliflower With Turmeric [Vegan]
- 10-12 small whole red, or yellow waxy, potatoes
- 1 head of fresh cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, preferably brown
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh green chili, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Cook the potatoes whole, in the skins, in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and soak in cold water for 20 minutes, and then halve or quarter (depending on size) to make 1.5-inch chunks. They should be about the same size as the cauliflower florets.
- While the potatoes are cooking/cooling, cut the cauliflower into 1-inch florets and blanch in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Take care not to overcook the cauliflower, or it will be mushy and lose its nutrient content. Drain and soak in ice water to prevent further cooking. Drain again.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add garlic and chiles, and return to medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, until garlic is a light brown.
- Stir in turmeric and add potatoes, cauliflower, and tomatoes. Add salt, increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are thoroughly mixed with spices and heated throughout.
- Add cilantro. Stir, remove from heat, and serve immediately.