If you’re looking to whip up some spooky treats or simply want to explore incorporating soda in a baked good, you have to try these! What’s great about this recipe is that it can be used for any occasion and not just halloween, and its super easy, requires minimal ingredients, and is like instantly taking a trip down memory lane.
Bloody Axe Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter softened
- 5-8 tablespoons agave
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Zevia lemon blend
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 tablespoon Soda
- 1/2 cup grenadine and cherries
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon agave
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line one cupcake pan with 12 paper or silicone liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor cream together butter, extracts, and agave until light and fluffy. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Add the butter mixture and fold into flour. Gradually add in the soda mixture as it will foam. Fill cupcakes in the papers or mold. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Set aside on cooling rack to fully cool.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat throw in the minced cherries and juice with arrowroot and continuously try to whisk to make sure the powder dissolves. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the sauce turns more into a syrup. Set aside to cool.
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely, fill with cherry mixture by filling injecting syringe with roughly 1 tablespoon of cherries. Place the needle in the center of a cupcake and push the plunger as you gently pull the needle up and out of the cupcake. Repeat with the rest of the cupcakes.
- Throw powdered sugar and tablespoon of soda in a bowl, mix until combined and has super thick texture. If too liquid like add more sugar. If too thick add more soda.
- Glaze cupcakes that are completely cooled. Place in fridge for few minutes to fully set. Top with extra glaze and creepy hatchets and you have yourself some spooky cupcakes!