This savory pumpkin pie tastes almost too good to be true. The crust is made from oat flour and almond flour combined with plenty of herbs and spices, like Italian parsley, sage, and thyme. It is topped with a delicious filling made from roasted pumpkin, leeks, and chickpea flour, which gives it a unique texture. This pie is the perfect addition to your holiday feast. Recipe created as a guest post for Sweet Simple Vegan by Yvonne's Vegan Kitchen.
Savory Pumpkin Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Savory Pumpkin Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups leeks (about 3-4 medium leeks), pale and green parts only, cleaned well and thinly sliced
- 2 cups baked pumpkin, cubed
- 1 teaspoon flat leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons slivered or sliced almonds
For the Crust:
- 1 cup oat flour (see notes)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, roughly chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup cold-pressed grapeseed or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
How to Prepare Savory Pumpkin Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water. Cover with a plate and set aside at room temperature for 2 hours.
To Make the Pumpkin:
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet.
- Peel and deseed pumpkin. Cut into large squares.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and cut them into smaller pieces, 1/4-inch thick and as wide as 1/2-inch.
- Allow it to cool, then sauté the pumpkin with 1 teaspoon coconut oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper until the pumpkin pieces brown. Set aside.
To Make the Crust:
- Turn down the oven to 350°F and prepare the crust.
- Spray a 9 1/2-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with non-stick cooking spray and place it in the center of a baking sheet.
- In a food processor, add all crust ingredients except for the oil and water. Pulse 3-4 times to combine. If you don’t have a food processor, simply add to a bowl and mix very well.
- Add water and oil, then pulse until the dough comes together and forms a ball. Place the dough on the prepared tart pan and press the crust into the pan, making sure to push the crust into the grooves of the pan. Pat the dough until the crust is even. Bake for 12 minutes, remove the crust from the oven, then set it aside to cool. Raise the oven temperature to 500°F.
To Make the Pie:
- In the same sauté pan, heat 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil over medium heat, then sauté the leeks until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Very carefully (because they will be hot) line the leeks evenly on the base of the crust, then layer on the pumpkin and sprinkle with slivered or sliced almonds.
- With a large spoon, skim off and discard bubbles from the chickpea mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon parsley and 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil to the chickpea flour mixture. Whisk and pour the mixture onto the vegetables in the crust. Immerse the vegetables into the liquid so they don't burn in the oven, pressing down on the vegetables that stick out of the liquid. If they continue to peek out of the batter, that’s fine. You might not need all of the chickpea mixture — you might have about 3 tablespoons of the chickpea mixture left.
- Carefully place the baking sheet into the preheated 500°F oven for 25-27 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing the outer part of the tart pan. Slice and serve.
Oat flour can be made by grinding oat groats or rolled oats in a blender or food processor until it has a fine flour-like consistency. Made in collaboration with Yvonne of Yvonne's Vegan Kitchen.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.