Forget about those boxed rice "pilafs" you have hanging out in your pantry, and make this easy and fragrant rice dish instead! It's a great accompaniment to your main entree, or a nice light lunch on its own.
Jeweled Yellow Rice With Pignoli Nuts and Golden Raisins [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Jeweled Yellow Rice With Pignoli Nuts and Golden Raisins [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups low salt vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pignoli (pine) nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
How to Prepare Jeweled Yellow Rice With Pignoli Nuts and Golden Raisins [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the pine nuts on a baking sheet and cook until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Be mindful pine nuts burn quickly. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and rice. Cook, frequently stirring to prevent sticking, 4-5 minutes until onions begin to soften and rice begins to take on some color.
- Stir in the turmeric and kosher salt until rice turns a golden yellow. Add the golden raisins and vegetable broth and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. You can add additional broth 1-2 tablespoons at a time, if necessary.
- Stir in the pignoli nuts and chopped parsley.
You can substitute white rice, but you may need to increase the vegetable broth by 1/4-1/2 cup and increase cooking time by five minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.