Forget about those boxed rice "pilafs" you have hanging out in your pantry, and make this easy and fragrant rice dish instead! It's a great accompaniment to your main entree, or a nice light lunch on its own.
Jeweled Yellow Rice With Pignoli Nuts and Golden Raisins [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups low salt vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pignoli (pine) nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the pine nuts on a baking sheet and cook until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Be mindful, pine nuts burn quickly. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and rice. Cook, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, 4-5 minutes until onions begin to soften and rice begins to take on some color. Stir in the turmeric and kosher salt until rice turns a golden yellow. Add the golden raisins and vegetable broth and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. (You can add additional broth 1-2 tablespoons at a time, if necessary.)
- Stir in the pignoli nuts and chopped parsley. Serve.
You can substitute white rice, but you may need to increase the amount of vegetable broth by 1/4-1/2 cup and increase cooking time by five minutes.