If creamy, comforting dishes are your kind of meal, then you have to make this Brussels sprouts pasta casserole. The combination of pasta, cashew cheese sauce, roasted Brussels sprouts, and tender butternut squash is filling, cozy, and so delicious. It's all tossed together in a baking dish, then topped with a garlicky, gluten-free bread crumb topping and baked until warmed through.
Brussels Sprouts Pasta Casserole [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tahini
For the Cashew Parmesan:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- A pinch of salt (optional)
For the Casserole:
- 1 batch vegan cheese sauce
- Vegan Parmesan , divided
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, peeled and cooked
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, cubed, and cooked or roasted
- 10 ounces gluten-free pasta
- Fresh rosemary, chopped (optional)
For the Topping:
- 2 handfuls of gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove
- Olive oil
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- After soaking the cashews in hot water for 15 minutes, drain them and transfer to a blender.
- Add vegetable broth and tahini. Process until smooth.
To Make the Cashew Parmesan:
- Use a blender to process all ingredients to a Parmesan-like texture.
To Make the Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Start by cooking the pasta according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce and then hop to a food processor or blender and make the topping by combining the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon olive oil and minced garlic.
- In a casserole dish, mix butternut squash, vegan cheese sauce, cooked Brussels sprouts, pasta, and half of the cashew
- Parmesan. Mix topping with the rest of cashew Parmesan and top the casserole with that.
- Bake for around 15 minutes and top with freshly chopped rosemary if you like.