Hollowed out mushrooms and mashed chickpeas don't sound that amazing on their own, but put them together and you have all the makings of a delicious and unique dish. In this recipe, chickpeas are blended with onions, tomato, dried currants, and raw cashew butter, seasoned with curry powder, and then stuffed into white stuffing mushrooms. Serve these on a bed of fresh spinach leaves with some pumpkin seed garnish.
Curried Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Curried Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 10-12 large White Button mushrooms, for stuffing
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 14-ounce can garbanzo beans
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- A handful of dried currants or raisins
- 1 tablespoon raw cashew butter, plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds, for garnish
How to Prepare Curried Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Water sauté the onion. To water sauté, get a sauté pan hot over medium heat. Add the onions and a tiny bit of water. Stir frequently, adding just enough water as they cook to avoid sticking.
- Mix the cashew butter and water into a paste. Set aside.
- When the onion is tender, add all remaining ingredients except the cashew butter and water mixture.
- Let the ingredients simmer until the tomato is falling apart, about 15 minutes.
- Then mash up the garbanzo beans using a large spoon or potato masher so that most of them are mashed, leaving about 1/4 of them whole.
- Add the cashew paste and stir to combine.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a glass baking dish, until the mushrooms are tender but not mushy. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.