What's great about pasta is that it doesn't necessarily have to be complicated to be tasty. In this particular one, onions are caramelized and then tossed in with lemon-dressed Casarecce pasta. Savory with a pleasant citrus-y surprise. Yum.
Caramelized Onion Pasta [Vegan]
- 12-ounce box of casarecce, ziti, or penne
- 3 medium Vidalia onions
- Extra virgin olive oil, for sautéeing
- Juice from 1-2 lemons, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by prepping the onions. Cut the onions in half, then cut the halves into thin, C-shaped slices.
- Bring a sauté pan to medium-low heat and add the onions. Let the onions cook down for about an hour, stirring every 5-10 minutes or so. Be careful to not let the pan get too hot or the onions will burn. Just keep the pan on medium-low heat, and let them cook down slowly. It's time-consuming, but well worth the wait.
- While onions are cooking down, cook the pasta according to package directions. When pasta is done cooking, drain and set aside in the pot you used to cook it in.
- When onions are done cooking, they should be browned and fragrant. Scrape the onions into the pot full of pasta, and mix well. Add in juice from the lemons, (taste and adjust if needed), and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.