In this recipe, sweet potato and apple are shredded and combined to form crispy and unique latkes. The latkes are a little sweet and a little tangy from the added onion. They're perfect when paired with this creamy lemon tahini sauce. These can be ready in little to no time, so they also make a fantastic snack! Serve with kale if you're craving leafy greens on the side.
Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes:
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 apple, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour, or oat flour for a gluten-free version
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Pepper to taste
- Kale, for garnish (optional)
For the Tahini Lemon Drizzle:
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Water, as needed to thin sauce
- Sriracha (optional)
How to Prepare Sweet Potato and Apple Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Combine all of the ingredients for the tahini lemon sauce in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Grate the sweet potato and the apple into a large mixing bowl. Squeeze as much liquid out of the grated sweet potato and apple as possible and transfer the squeezed mixture into a clean bowl. Add the onion, salt, arrowroot, spelt flour, olive oil, turmeric, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Heat a cast iron pan (or another skillet) over medium-high heat. Add approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the pan is hot, take a handful (about 1/4 cup) of the latke batter and squeeze it together into a flat-ish round patty. Place it on the hot pan and press down on it with a spatula. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a plate or wire rack covered in paper towel to cool.
- Repeat until all of the latkes are cooked (you can place the cooked ones in the oven at 200°F to keep them warm while cooking). Serve hot with plenty of sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.