Here’s my tried-and-true vegan latkes recipe (our mainstay at Hanukkah for many years now) in which the grated potato is held together with oatmeal in place of the customary eggs. For a gluten-free version, quinoa flakes work splendidly. A bit of grated carrot adds extra color and flavor.
Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats or quinoa flakes to make it grain-free
- 6 medium-large Yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled (if leaving unpeeled, scrub well)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup matzo meal (or 1/2 cup additional quinoa flakes for grain-free)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Safflower or other high-heat vegetable oil for frying
- Vegan sour cream (optional)
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the oats or quinoa flakes with 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Stir and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Combine the grated potato, carrot, and onion, and matzo meal in a mixing bowl. Stir in the oatmeal, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat just enough oil to coat the bottom of a large, nonstick skillet or griddle. Drop enough potato batter to form 2 1/2 or 3-inch pancakes. Fry on both sides over medium-high heat until golden brown and crisp.