Here’s my tried-and-true vegan latkes recipe (our mainstay at Hanukkah for many years now) in which the grated potato is held together with oatmeal in place of the customary eggs. For a gluten-free version, quinoa flakes work splendidly. A bit of grated carrot adds extra color and flavor.
Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats or quinoa flakes to make it grain-free
- 6 medium-large Yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled (if leaving unpeeled, scrub well)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup matzo meal (or 1/2 cup additional quinoa flakes for grain-free)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Safflower or other high-heat vegetable oil for frying
- Vegan sour cream (optional)
How to Prepare Latkes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the oats or quinoa flakes with 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Stir and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Combine the grated potato, carrot, and onion, and matzo meal in a mixing bowl. Stir in the oatmeal, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat just enough oil to coat the bottom of a large, nonstick skillet or griddle. Drop enough potato batter to form 2 1/2 or 3-inch pancakes. Fry on both sides over medium-high heat until golden brown and crisp.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.