This popped amaranth cereal is perfect for breakfast! Just like corn kernels, amaranth when heated over high heat, pops and creates small, puffed crunchy bites. When mixed with other delicious things like roasted nuts and seeds, some dried fruit, and spices, the combination is super tasty and crunchy.
Popped Amaranth Cereal [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup popped amaranth (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar/brown sugar
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
To Pop the Amaranth:
- Heat your pan over medium-high heat until really hot.
- Start with a test batch. Add 1 tablespoon of amaranth to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon. The amaranth should start popping within a second or two. If they have not started popping, the pan is not hot enough.
- Continue to stir until the amaranth seeds begin to pop, then you have reached the proper temperature.
- Cover with the lid and shake the pan from side to side until the popping softens.
- Remove lid and once again stir with the wooden spoon to keep the amaranth from burning as the remainder pops.
- Pour into a small bowl and repeat. Do not add more than 1 tablespoon at a time. Often the first batch gets burnt because the seeds are on the heat too long. Usually, the second batch is just perfect.
To Make the Popped Amaranth Cereal:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl add the popped amaranth, shredded coconut, dried fruit, and chia seeds and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds, olive oil, cinnamon/cardamom, coconut sugar, and sea salt. Pour on one end of the parchment-lined baking sheet, using only about 1/3 of the space. Add the walnuts in the second third and the oats in the final third. Roast for 8-10 minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Once roasted, coarsely chop the walnuts and add to the popped amaranth. Then pour in the pumpkin seeds and rolled oats to the amaranth mixture and stir to combine. Allow to cool (you don't want steam to condense in your container) .and then pour into an airtight container.
- Serve with 1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt and fresh fruit. Or top with 1 cup nut milk and fresh fruit.
1/2 cup serving: 220kcal 23g carbs 5g of fiber 13g fat 7g protein Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile