It's a classic meat sauce made vegan! I used lentils to make the “meat” of the sauce. You could also use mushrooms, or neat meat replacement -Italian mix. I added onions, peppers and all my favorite Italian spices.
Pasta With Bolognese Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 ½ cups lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. vegan, gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground fennel
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1-lb. gluten-free pasta
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Vegan grated parmesan
- Add the lentils and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the lentils cook until the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft and mashable.
- Drain the lentils in a colander to remove any excess water. Using a potato masher, mash the lentils until there are just a few left intact.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, heat the oil in a large saucepan (that has a lid) over medium-high heat.
- Add the mashed lentils to the pan and cook them until they are browned, about 5 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break them up and toss them around the pan.
- When the lentils are browned, add the onions, peppers and garlic to the pan and toss to mix with the lentils. Cook about 5 minutes until the veggies have softened.
- Mix in the tomato paste and the Worcestershire sauce. Make sure all the veggies are coated and that the tomato paste smells fragrant.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, fennel, oregano, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Stir everything, cover the pot and let cook while you make the pasta.
- When the water for the pasta is at a rolling boil, add a handful of salt to the pot.
- Add the pasta, stir it with tongs, and bring the water back to a boil. Cook the pasta until it is al dente. Reserve a cup of the starchy cooking water. Drain the pasta.
- Add the starchy cooking water to the sauce, ¼ cup at a time, until you have the consistency you want. Bolognese sauce should be pretty thick.
- Stir the sauce and let it continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the Bolognese sauce over the pasta.
- Garnish with torn basil leaves and vegan parmesan.