Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The moment my skin became rejuvenated after trying this I simply wanted to share it with as many as I could. Everyone deserves to have beautiful skin and I hope that this DIY cleanser and moisturizer helps you on your journey to it.
The results were so simple yet amazing. I love when simplicity works wonders and this has been a miracle for me. Man, this sounds like a religious infomercial haha, but seriously I speak no lies.
Using chemical-induced products strips your face of oils, thus causing an overproduction of oil or even dryness. Just because the label on your commercial product claims to “eliminate pimples,” “for sensitive skin,” and “reduce further production of pimples,” does not mean it’s true. That lovely scent on your product most likely comes from fragrance which is known to be a skin irritant. All these chemicals dry out and irritate your skin leaving it tight and dry. Sometimes when your skin becomes dry, it may produce more oils thus leaving your skin oily or unbalanced. If products leave your face dry, you may turn to lotions that contain even more chemicals. GAH. Never ending cycle! I definitely fell victim.
Two oils to become acquainted with: olive oil and castor oil. These oils help balance the natural production of oil on your face since they do not strip your face of anything (except dirt and clogged pores!).
You may be thinking, why would I want to put oil on my already oily and pimple-y face?! Sounds like a nightmare to some, eh? Well these oils dissolve the oils that are naturally produced on your skin. They wash away the impurities on your skin, clear your pores, and leave your skin feeling moisturized and happy.
You’ll need to experiment with the oil ratios to find the right one for your beautiful skin. My skin tends to be on the normal/dry side, so I used a 1/4 ratio of castor to 3/4 olive. When you first start off, experiment with ratios in small amounts so nothing goes to waste. I’d recommend a higher olive oil ratio for drier and normal skin, and adding a bit more castor if you tend to be more on the oily side. Start with a small amount of castor oil and increase in small increments from there on as needed. Combine your oil mixture in a small, clean container.
All you need is:
- cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- cold-pressed castor oil
- small soft washcloth
- some sort of small container (for storage)
- I recommend only doing this once* per day and before bed so the oil can nurture your skin overnight and all the dirt and bacteria from your daily routine can be set free.
- Pour some oil into your palms, rub together, and gently spread all over face.
- Gently massage the oil soothingly into your face and pores for about a minute or so
- Take the washcloth and drench it with warm, steamy water and place over your face. Not too hot! Comfortably hot, so that when you put it to your face you can feel the steam entering your pores. (Cold water will not open your pores, thus fail to let out impurities.)
- Leave the washcloth on until it becomes cool again.
- Gently wipe off the oils on your face with the washcloth and rinse the cloth in hot water.
- Repeat if you’d wish, if not simply pat your face with a clean, soft, and dry towel.
- If your skin is a bit dry, massage a few drops of olive oil into your skin. This is what I do. Note: olive oil can stay and be absorbed on your skin, castor should not.
- Adding some essential oils beneficial to the skin, such as lavender or tea tree, would add some benefits as well! A little goes a long way…
- Store your oil container in a cool, dry, and dark place, such as a cabinet.
*Take note: doing this more than once per day or even daily may cause dryness for those with sensitive skin. No worries! Just make sure to skip a day or so (whatever works for you) in between cleansing if this happens. Massage a bit of olive oil into your skin if dryness occurs. I’ve found that doing this cleansing every few days is what works for me. I use solely olive oil to wash my face on the other days. Works great.
You can use olive oil to moisturize your face, but also your body! The olive oil worked so well that it’s the only moisturizer I use now for all areas of my skin. My skin is so soft all the time. Even my feet!!! I love using products on my body that can safely (and deliciously) be consumed.
Some more benefits of olive oil: strengthen nails, soften skin, moisturize hair and control frizz (be careful of oils on hair though), great sub for shaving cream (I will never go back to other shaving cream products. My skin is so soft even post-shave. Excellent.), and so many more! Oh and if you wear makeup, olive oil is known to be a swell makeup remover as well.
Remember guys, you want to make sure that your oils are cold pressed and for the olive: extra virgin. I would even recommend organic. The better quality the oil, the better your skin will be! My castor oil is not organic, but it is cold pressed. Cold pressed retains the nutrients (by not heating and destroying the oil) which is the most important for healing/preserving your precious skin. These things don’t have to be crazily expensive! My organic, cold pressed olive was around $7 I believe and the castor was $5. These oils will last you a long, long time and give you plenty of uses out of them. When was the last time you saw a beneficial facial cleanser/body moisturizer for that cheap anyways?
For more Life, Animal, Earth, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!