This BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich turned out absolutely scrumptious! Therefore, you must try it and make sure you grill the bread, because that is incredibly yummy! Oh and you must try my famous BBQ sauce! It's perfect during any season, but especially summer after a long day of being out in the sun.
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 2 cans of jackfruit 18 ounces each
- 2 shallot onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil or oil of your choice
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- Lettuce & shredded red cabbage
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes – oil free (soaked for in 1 1/2 cup of water for 15min)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon organic molasses
- 1 tablespoon low sodium Tamari
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Blend all, including the water from sundried tomatoes in a blender util smooth.
- Rinse the canned jackfruit, remove the seeds, trim the hard parts and cut into smaller pieces.
- Mix in a bowl with 1 cup of BBQ sauce, cover with lid or plastic wrap and place into a refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat up about 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté the onion for a second or two, add the garlic and mix well for few more seconds until translucent.
- Add the jackfruit and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat, cover with lid, and let it simmer for 10min.
- When ready, take the lid off and stir again for 1 more minute.
- You may add couple more tablespoons of BBQ sauce and salt if you like.
- When ready, brush your bread lightly on each side with oil and grill, on a grill, if you have one or a grilling pan like I did.
- Each side takes about 30 seconds.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on the bottom, then layer of jackfruit, little bit of BBQ sauce, cabbage and top with a second toast.