Some of these cold, icy nights call for chowda. Being vegan, I saw this as a tiny, potential obstacle. Once again though, I've discovered that I can still have the delicious things I loved as an omnivore. This vegan, smoky mushroom clam chowder is ultra creamy and super thick making it very rich and hearty.
Creamy Not-Clam Chowder [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Creamy Not-Clam Chowder [Vegan]
For the Soup Base:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain soy creamer
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1 cup fresh water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kelp granule seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- A splash of liquid smoke
For the Mushroom Confit:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 10 ounces Shiitake mushrooms, cut small
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- A splash of liquid smoke
- A dash of kosher salt
How to Prepare Creamy Not-Clam Chowder [Vegan]
- To start, you'll need to soak the cashews. The best way to do this is overnight in the redrigerator, but if you're strapped for time use boiling water and soak for half an hour. When ready, drain and rinse well before use.
- Next, place the cubed potatoes in a microwave safe, shallow bowl and cover with saran wrap. Microwave for about 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place all the soup base ingredients in a blender, including the soaked cashews and cooked potatoes. Blend on high for a couple minutes, until the mixture is silky smooth. Add additional water as needed to achieve your desired soup thickness or thinness.
- Transfer to a soup pot and heat on low, whisking occasionally.
- Now it's time to make the confit. Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, turning the heat to medium-high.
- When almost finished cooking, sprinkle in the salt and the liquid smoke, to taste. Stir well. The confit is done when the celery is somewhat softened. The mushrooms and onions should be cooked thoroughly.
- Serve a small piling of the confit in the middle of a hot bowl of the chowder.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 396 | Carbs: 50 g | Fat: 18 g | Protein: 14 g | Sodium: 567 mg | Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.