This creamy vegan spinach dip combines the simple, but divine flavors of onions and garlic with the subtle sweetness of coconut and saltiness of spinach. It’s an easy vegan side dish that is ready in less than 15 minutes. The spinach just adds to the bomb of flavors and creamy texture. This dip is so versatile! You can spread it over a slice of bread, dip raw veggies into it, use over pasta dish, or have as a simple side to complete your meal.
Creamy Coconut Spinach Dip [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 ounces coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
- Black pepper and chilli pepper flakes to taste
- First you need to thaw spinach. Discard any excess water.
- Then, chop onion and use garlic press to crush garlic cloves. Alternatively use frozen pre-chopped onion and chop garlic into really fine pieces.
- Next, in a small skillet or pot heat 2 tablespoons of water. When it starts to sizzle, add onions and garlic, mix briefly, cover and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Then, add turmeric, stir and pour in coconut milk.
- Bring to boil before adding spinach. Stir, bring to boil and simmer until spinach is cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Finally, season with Himalayan salt, black pepper and garnish with some chilli flakes.
You can also use fresh spinach instead of frozen. However, if you want the final result have a dip consistency, chop the spinach finely before cooking. Should you want wilted spinach instead, throw the leaves in as they are. When using fresh spinach, boil it in a separate skillet for one minute, drain the boiling water (it contains acids) and mix the spinach into the other ingredients.