I’m a fan of anything that has potatoes and onions cooked together. My Kugel is so easy to make. It’s like a giant latke pie! Serve it with sauteed apples, apple sauce, vegan sour cream or whatever you like. You can also bake this in muffin tins for individual servings.
Potato and Onion Kugel With Sautéed Apples [Vegan]
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 medium to large russet potatoes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 large apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1-2 Tbs. brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round pie plate with cooking oil. In a mug, combine the flaxseed and the warm water. Mix and let sit for 5-10 minutes until it thickens.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the diced onions. Cook the onions for about 5 minutes until they become softened and translucent. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Peel and grate the potatoes into a large bowl. I did not squeeze the water out of them. To the bowl, add the onions, parsley and the flax gel. Add the baking powder and the seasoning. Mix well so everything is well-combined. The mixture should be quite wet. Add the flour, ¼ cup at a time, to the mixture. You want the batter to feel less wet and like the potato mixture could hold together.
- Transfer the potato and onion mixture into the pie plate. Spread the mixture to fit the pie plate and use a spatula to smooth out the top. Bake for 45 minutes, turning the pan halfway through, until the top is golden brown and crispy. Let cool before slicing. Serve with sauteed apples or sour cream.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the apple slices and cook for 4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Season with cinnamon and cloves and toss to coat all the slices.
- Add the vinegar and let the apples cook until the vinegar starts to thicken.
- Add the water and cover the pan. Continue to cook until the apples are soft but not falling apart.
- Add the brown sugar to taste.
- Serve over the kugel.