When it comes to recreating your favorite childhood meals, it's all about the seasoning and these carrot hot dogs got it right. They're made by boiling carrots until soft and then marinating them in a savory sauce. After that, you just fry them to make them a little crispy and ... ta-dah! You have yourself a whole foods-based and budget-friendly meal that's a childhood favorite.
Carrot Hot Dogs [Vegan]
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Peel carrots and cut off ends.
- Boil them until a fork goes through them. Be sure not to over boil so they fall apart.
- Once done, run under cold water.
- Create the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Soak the carrots for at least 4 hours in the marinade, more if you would like.
- Rotate them after a couple hours.
- When ready, fry them in a frying pan with a small amount of oil until browned on all sides.
You can change the marinade to your liking. Too vinegary? Add more water. Etc.