Rainbow carrots are thinly sliced and slow-roasted until dried on the outside, but plump on the inside. They’re smoky, salty, and little sweet from a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Aquafaba, the liquid from a can of chickpeas is used to give the edges of the roasted carrots a meaty, almost leathery texture. Perfect atop an everything bagel with a schmear of vegan cream cheese, sliced red onion, and capers, you’ll be absolutely smitten with this recipe.
Smoked Carrot Lox [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Smoked Carrot Lox [Vegan]
- 1/2 pound (about 6 large) rainbow carrots
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground smoked salt
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1//2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, red palm oil, or coconut oil
How to Prepare Smoked Carrot Lox [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and move the oven rack to the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, very thinly slice the carrots lengthwise so they’re just a bit thicker than translucent. Place in a large bowl and gently toss with salt, maple syrup, pepper, and liquid smoke, until each strand is well covered. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Gently squeeze the carrots, pouring any leached liquids out of the bowl. Add aquafaba, lemon zest, and oil and again toss until each strand is well covered.
- Starting with a long strand of carrot, lay it flat across the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Continue to lay the carrots one after the other, overlapping them almost completely. Once all the carrots are laid out, tightly cover with foil, then bake for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Keep covered and allow carrots to cool completely before serving.
Adapted from Sarah Jampel's Smoked Carrot ‘Lox.'
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 135 | Total Carbs: 15 g | Total Fat: 7 g | Total Protein: 1 g | Total Sodium: 2414 g | Total Sugar: 10 g Per Serving: Calories: 23 | Carbs: 3 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 0 g | Sodium: 402 mg | Sugar: 2 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.